Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Family Is Driving Me Crazy


Today I’m pleased to be hosting Lesley Diehl, a retired professor of psychology and author of several murder mysteries: Dumpster Dying, Grilled, Chilled and Killed, A Deadly Draught, Poisoned Pairing, and Angel Sleuth. I asked her about two topics on which she is an expert: murder mysteries and the psychology of family relations. Now that’s a killer blog!

Family and Murder

In the programs I do for libraries, literary groups and others, I often comment on the downside of being a psychologist.  Many assume that if you chose to go into the mental health field it was because of family issues.  So I say in defense, “No one assumes that Mary became a mathematician because she couldn’t add a column of numbers.  Sadly, however, there is much truth to the assumption that many psychologists choose the field because of family history.  In my case, I can safely say it was because my mother was more than a little odd.  Okay, she was crazy I guess.  My father, however, was about as sane and normal as a guy can be.  Me?  I carry some of Mom’s kookiness, but I knew when I was about three that she wasn’t like other mothers and by my teenage years, I knew better than to blame myself.  Goes to show you how one normal parent can help.

My family background coupled with my training can’t help but influence my writing. I think its impact is not as direct as one would suspect. I don’t dwell on the mentally unstable adults and their impact on their children; rather I focus on the family broadly defined and weave that together with my background in developmental psychology specifically with the issue of individual identity. Identity seems to me to be the major developmental hurdle for all of us, and it is one we confront again and again, redefining who we are when confronted with challenges in our lives. 


Murder constitutes a perfect challenge to use as a way of viewing a protagonist’s change and growth. Like other developmentalists, I believe we leap forward in making ourselves emotionally, socially and intellectually stronger when confronted by life change events. Certainly finding a dead body can be construed as one of them!  And events requiring adjustment can shake the identity we’ve so carefully constructed, even positive happenings.


In the case of my protagonist Hera in the microbrewing series (i.e. Deadly Draught and Poisoned Pairing), she has defined herself as a microbrewer with a love for her art. But what about when she stumbles over the dead body of her closest competitor? And what happens when she falls back in love with her old college flame? Who is she now? I answer that in the book by forcing her to find the killer to save her business. She’s suddenly an amateur sleuth. And her passion for her old lover?  It opens her heart to the possibility of love again, of taking emotional chances.

In my other work set in rural Florida (i.e. Dumpster Dying, Grilled and Chilled and Killed), I focus on family by examining what happens to both my protagonist and her friend when they keep family secrets. In this case I do so with humor, yet the message that change is necessary when confronted by murder and the truth influences both of their lives.


Only in my stand alone work, Angel Sleuth do I explore the impact of bad parenting upon the adult child, and, in this case, the mother is not so much mentally unhealthy as simply confused and in need of some identity work of her own.


In all my work, I enjoy writing about the family and identity and making murder the vehicle for my protagonist’s journey in the book. What issues do you like to explore in your protagonists’ lives to propel them toward change? A man, a parent, a child, emotional damage, money, career issues, marriage, children?

Learn more about Leslie at her website: www.lesleydiehl.com and her blog  http://anotherdraught.blogspot.com.

10 comments:

  1. Please leave comments for this clever and funny guest author.
    JL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting me, Janet. And, in case anyone's confused, my name is spelled Lesley, not Leslie as most would spell it. That odd spelling is my mother's doing, her legacy to me to saddle me with an unusual spelling and a name that most thought was a man's. So I got put in tha boys' gym class in junior high and in the boys' dorm in college. The dorm thing seemed like a fun idea until they pulled me out of there. Think of what I might have written if I'd stayed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesley,
    When can we schedule my session? Talk about family issues! I could keep you busy for a long time!
    Maybe that's why I've always loved reading and writing fiction. Reading mystery/suspense novels offers the perfect escape and writing them gives us opportunities to deal with our own issues. We can "eliminate" characters who may or may not represent real life people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since my undergraduate degree is in psychology, I'm very drawn to the field. Although I went in a different direction, that background has been useful in everything I do including writing and painting. There are so many unusual names now that your name would never be considered different!

    Thanks, Janet, for having Lesley as your guest. Interesting post.

    Mary Montague Sikes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sane? Who wants to be sane? Life is a lot more fun with a bit of madness. Think of how many great books wouldn't have been written were it not for family issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is something that I'm going to have to work on - probably have to weave it back in - to show the change in the main character, and most likely the changes in her children. So far, I've focused on her changing after she and her husband divorce, but with the death of the ex, there will have to be other changes, too. Thanks for pointing out the kind of effects a reader (or writer) can see in your different books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Janet,
    I'm used to people spelling my name the other way, but I want to make certain everyone can find me on the web, my blog, but particularly find my books. The only person I knew who spelled the name as my mother chose to was Lesley Selander who was, I believe, the director or producer of My Friend Flicka. I think he was a guy too. Why couldn't Mom have named me "Sue"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got everything from family scandal to family... Let's call them odd people (NOT all of them). I can relate to what you're talking about. Love your books and you're doing a great job presenting the characters and their lives and growth. By the way, try on a name like Marja. Nobody ever gets it right. : )
    Marja McGraw

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my family life and upbringing would make a seriously good book. Trouble is, I just can't stomach writing it. Anyway, I enjoyed this blog because I had a chance to learn more about you as a person and a writer. Excellent stuff!

    ReplyDelete