Saturday, April 12, 2014

New Blog Game in Town – A Spider Web of Authors


Did you like to play tag when you were a child? Maybe you’ll enjoy participating in this adult version and decide it’s a good way to tell other authors about your work. Everyone who participates in this spider web answers the same four questions.

WHAT AM I WORKING ON NOW?
I’m sending Sara Almquist, my epidemiologist heroine in my medical thriller series, to Cuba. I’ve included sites (e.g. the La Floridita Bar that Hemingway made famous and the beautiful Springer Spaniels that were security dogs at José Martí International Airport in Havana) from my visit to Cuba last November. Sara took this public health assignment to get away from problems at home in New Mexico and to look for Xave, the “spook” who saved her in Bolivia in Ignore the Pain. Officially, she’s working for the State Department as they arrange scientific exchanges between the US and Cuba.

I’ve got a problem. Even though the first draft of the book is almost done I don’t have a title. Do you have suggestions? Leave a comment please.

WHY DO I WRITE WHAT I DO?
I am a scientist, and I strive to create colorful scenes in my books by including factual scientific details and realistic, not stereotyped medical experts. I guess, I’m trying to do a bit of science education while I use my imagination to spin fictional thrillers.

HOW DOES MY WORK DIFFER FROM OTHERS OF THE SAME GENRE?
My lead character epidemiologist Sara Almquist could be compared to the pathologist Kay Scarpetta
in Patricia’s Cornwell’s novels or the medical anthropologist Tempe Brennan in Kathy Reich’s medical thrillers. However, Sara is more irreverent to authority, takes herself less seriously, and is based in New Mexico. She also has great side-kicks – Bug, a Japanese Chin, and Linda, her sister.

HOW DOES YOUR WRITING PROCESS WORK?
I file interesting ideas from scientific journals, newspapers, and on-line search services as I find them. When I start thinking about a new novel, I sort through my files and pull articles that fit a common theme. Then I create a three to five-page outline of the novel. After that I let the characters take over.

I guess that means I’m an organized pantser or a disorganized plotter.

The spider, who caught me in this web, was Ilene Schneider. See her at http://rabbiauthor.com/2014/04/new-blog-game-in-town. She was caught into the web Sandy Fairfax. See her at  http://sandyfairfaxauthor.com/blog-bop-my-writing-process . I snared Sharon Moore into the web. See his blog at http://samwriteaway.blogspot.com.
If you want to be included, I’ll alter this blog to include you in this web. Just let me know at janet.greger@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment