Monday, January 21, 2013

IS WRITING A BLOG LIKE ENACTING LAWS?

 
Probably million of words are published daily on blogs. How many are read by anyone but the author and a few friends. Similarly millions of words appear in the Congressional Record each year. Have you ever read even a paragraph from the Congressional Record?

What impels you to take time and read a blog? Or for that matter anything?
Think about these questions as you read or write your next blog. And it you’re so inclined, please tell me what you think.

Yes  No  Maybe
__    __     __           I read blogs with catchy titles.
__    __     __           Does humor make a title interesting?
__    __     __           Do personal questions in the title draw you in?

__    __     __            I read blogs that provide me with useful info, i.e. I’m a writer and find writers’ blogs helpful.

__    __     __            I like blogs that mention science.
__    __     __            I like blogs that mention politics.
__    __     __            I like blogs that mention the paranormal.

__    __     __             It’s a habit. I generally read this blog.

__    __     __             I read blogs, which were cited elsewhere.

Maybe writing successful blogs is like writing legislation that is eventually enacted. Otto von Bismark is credited with saying: “Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made.”

In any case, I’m interested in your thoughts. Please make a comment.

JL Greger
Not knowing how to interest others in my blog bugs me.

5 comments:

  1. I've had good luck with my blog because it has a little bit of everything: Guest authors, what is going on in my life, writing tips, and stuff about my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting comment. That's what I like too, but many so-called experts believe a strong theme is necessary. I doubted their assumptions and asked the questions. Let's see if others have comments.
    Thanks
    JK Greger

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a tricky mix of who you are, what you like, who your readers are (who reads your type of writing) and many of the things you've listed above (and Marilyn above offers that for her readers)--it has to be your voice. I don't like book reports so seldom read about authors and their books (horrors!) because they are, well, boring. I read blogs that offer things I like to read about and sometimes just because I like the way the blogger sees the world. I will read blogs on writing/publishing/marketing info among my other reads. Developing your blogging voice is like developing your writing voice, it takes time--and lots of posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A catchy title might draw my attention. But once I get there I want a subject to hold my interest. It doesn't necessarily have to be about writing, though that's among favorite subjects. Science? Probably. Politics? I get enough of that elsewhere. Paranormal? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any other comments? I guess everyone's taste differs in blogs. It looks like personality and useful info (which varies from reader to reader) are what makes a blog.

    ReplyDelete