Friday, November 2, 2012

Vote and other things to do in November


 

I always think November is a transition month - from fall to the winter holidays. However, there are some important things to do in November.

1. Vote
Everyone should vote. If you hate the lines, you can vote early in a number of states.

2. Update your vaccinations, including for flu.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggests adults, get these vaccinations:
A flu shot every year. If you want an incentive for getting a flu shot, read my novel Coming Flu. It’s an extreme example, but will you make you think.


A booster shot for tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (commonly called whooping cough) every ten years.

Two doses of vaccine against chickenpox sometime as an adult 

One vaccine shot against shingles sometime after sixty.

 If you have questions or are immunosuppressed, check with you health care provider. You may want to visit: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines.

3. Be thankful 
Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday - quiet, no presents to buy, and a chance to make favorite recipes. Here’s how I add zip to my Thanksgiving stuffing. The limiting factor is me – when I get tired of chopping.

Zip for Your Thanksgiving Stuffing
 Add any or all of these to your traditional bread stuffing:
1/2 -1 cup of grated carrots
1 cup of sauted sliced mushrooms
4-8 ounces of fried ground sausage
1 cup of chopped, sauted onion
1 cup of chopped celery (If you like, saute the celery with the mushrooms, sausage, and/or onions before adding to your bread crumb mixture.)
         1/2 cup of chopped parsley or cilantro

How does this relate to my bugs?
Two ways. I’m thankful for my dog Bug. And it bugs me so many Americans can’t find time to vote, get vaccinated, or be thankful.

JL Greger

Which neighbor would you fear more: a friendly neighbor infected with a new flu virus or a not-so-friendly neighbor who runs drugs?
COMING FLU will challenge you to rethink your priorities.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment