Monday, October 8, 2012

JL's Bugs: Start


JL's BUGS: Pick the definition that fits

  • Proper noun: Best dog I know
      • Proper noun: dog (Japanese Chin) featured in the novel Coming Flu
    • Noun: computer error or flaw
    • Slang verb: to concern or annoy. Definition often used in this blog.
    • Slang noun: an annoyance or concern Definition often used in this blog.
    • Verb: conceal a microphone to monitor someone's conversations
    • Noun: an insect
     
I always promised myself I would never blog. But then I wrote a mystery thriller Coming Flu. To advertise it and to please my publisher, I wrote guest blogs. Now I’m experimenting with my own blog. Today’s entry will be short.

I write medical suspense and mystery novels with tidbits about recent scientific advances and glimpses of life within the scientific/medical community. My novels are examples of a new genre of books: science in fiction or lab lit. But don’t worry if you’re not much interested in science, you’ll find the action exciting and the characters just quirky enough to be appealing.

Coming Flu is the first in a series of three novels based on Sara Almquist, an epidemiology professor, who took early retirement to get away from bad memories, and her sister Linda Almquist, a physician in the Albuquerque area.

Although no one in Coming Flu is real, except for my Japanese Chin Bug, I use my past experiences as a professor with a research lab and grad students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, a co-author of Nutrition for Living (a textbook for non-science majors), and a university administrator to “color” my novels with reality and grit.

About Coming Flu:

A new flu strain – the Philippine flu – kills more than two hundred in less than a week in the small walled community near the Rio Grande. The rest face a bleak future under quarantine. One of the residents Sara Almquist, as a medical epidemiologist, pries into every aspect of her neighbors’ lives looking for ways to stop the spread of the flu. She finds promising clues – maybe one too many?

To learn more check back here or go to http://www.jlgreger.com.
October 8, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment